Next Race: 10th Annual 10K on the Noland Trail (Newport News, VA)

Countdown to Kansas

Friday, September 10, 2010

About time for some running weather

After the Ironman Timex watch incident at the Expo, I made the wise choice - I went with the Garmin Forerunner 405 the wife has.  The online interfact is intuitive, I have a good understanding of the different functions, and with the exception of locking up once or twice (due to sweat - lock the bezel to prevent this), it is a great device.  I highly recommend the 405 (can't beat the price - $235-ish on Amazon).  After getting the watch in the mail on Wednesday, I used it the next morning for an easy 3 m run, the first after the half-marathon, and today for a 4 m trail run at Sandy Bottom Nature Park  Both times it worked perfectly...the runs went well too. 

Because I had to go into work early on Thursday, it meant a 4:50 am wake up call to catch a run before heading off to work at 6.  Following the Runner's World post half-marathon recovery definetly helped - cross training twice since the half-mara (before running again) allowed me to work out all the kinks.  Running session #1 was pain free, contributing to it be extremely pleasant. (Seeing six deer was pretty cool).  After knocking out a lower body workout later in the day, I decided to swap Friday and Saturday.  This meant a Rest day Fri and cross training or running (easy 4 m) Saturday.  With having to work this weekend and feeling sore, it seemed like a good choice.  That didn't last long.

All of a sudden the weather gods are being kind - what a beautiful day (cool, not humid, and not too sunny).  You know what this means!  Go for a run...and I did.  After work, I quickly changed, did a little carbo-loading (apple and a eng muff with FF cream cheese), and made way for Noland Trail.  I didn't make it to Noalnd Trail, but I did find a gem in Hampton - Sandy Bottom Nature Park.  What a TREMENDOUS 4 m trail run (twigs, roots, uneven surfaces, etc.) - great training for North Face.  I did a much better job of manitaining my easy pace of 10:24 m (my easy training pace for working towards a 1:55 half-marathon - 9:00 min/m).  Simply put, what a great adventure full of twists and turns and some burning thighs and calves afterwards - all the ingredients for a great run!     



  

No comments:

Post a Comment