Next Race: 10th Annual 10K on the Noland Trail (Newport News, VA)

Countdown to Kansas

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Compromise, discipline, and balance

As with everything in life, if you want something bad enough you must be willing to compromise.  For me, this means passing on the North Face Endurance Challenge Half-Marathon in Atlanta, GA next month in order to train for Kansas Ironman 70.3 next year.  Training has its costs, and a half-ironman is no exception.  Bike ($1,000), indoor trainer ($239), helmet ($30)…I can go on and on, but I think you get my drift.  Being a cautious spender is absolutely necessary and the proper thing to do.  It is unfair to spend money on these necessary items without being willing to compromise.  That’s life.     
Just as important as good spending habits are discipline and balance.  You MUST be disciplined enough to run and/or bike and/or swim when it is the last thing you want to do.  Not only do you need to do it, but you need to be productive.  Every training session, whether 30 minutes or two hours, must make you netter than before.  4:30 wake up calls, 5:15 Power Bars, 6 am spin classes, morning and evening runs/swims, long runs and bike rides on the weekend are now the norm.  It will stay this way for the foreseeable future.  Eight months = 16 long bikes, 16 long runs, and 64 tempo/speed work sessions (32 each of cycling and running) – there is no time to waste if you ask me.  Soreness (pain is the bad one) is no longer an excuse; rather, it means I am getting the job done.  Keep pushing.  
Like discipline, balance is critical.  Mixing in family, work, and training is no easy task.  Family has and will continue to come first, no exceptions.  Luckily, my wife is a big part of my training and I am able to get in plenty of running sessions with her :)  Thanks for the added work Meg!  Anytime I can train in the confines of my own home and/or with the wife is a treat.  Work is work, enough said.  Basically, it is time spent thinking about training…just being honest.     
While not going to the North Face Endurance Challenge is certainly disappointing, I have no doubt it was the right choice.  The cost of the trip ($600+) and time away from the family made it a straightforward decision.  All part of compromising, being disciplined, and having balance.   

No comments:

Post a Comment