Next Race: 10th Annual 10K on the Noland Trail (Newport News, VA)

Countdown to Kansas

Monday, September 6, 2010

Countdown to VA Beach

Saturday, Sept 4th 2010


Went to the VA Beach Half Marathon Health and Fitness Expo yesterday; what a great time. Talk about a runner’s paradise. We started if off by picking up are packets and then made our way through the expo center. Meg struck gold – new Brooks running shoes, a t-shirt, a box of GU’s – I’m sure there is something else but I cannot remember. I had a goal when I went to the expo – get a running hat (check) and GPS watch (check). I was able to hold back on numerous other temptations. The running watch I got is the Ironman GPS Trainer; this is an improvement over the 405 from what the rep told me. Definitely does all the essentials (pace, distance, time, etc.) and lots more.

This morning I finished reading Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes; what a book it was. The end chapters were especially interesting…In a lot of ways (definitely not referring to physical ability) we are alike. He and I do not care about monetary compensation – do what you love and do your best to take care of your family. He also preached the importance of fulfillment; running gives him a sense of adventure and purpose…this is how he feels whole. Once again, we are alike in this sense – doing what is necessary to feel fulfilled in life and challenging your limits. Hopefully, I will be able to get the next book, 50 Marathons in 50 Days, soon.

Lastly, he talked about how to stay motivated. Whether completing a 5K, 10K, 50K, etc. or working to improve your time, pick a race and work towards it. For me, my first two races (6 weeks apart) will work me up from a 10K to a 10 miler – should be one heck of a challenge and a great, great time. Do I have doubts…sure. But what separates someone with mental strength from someone else is the ability to commit oneself and embrace the challenge. There will be good days and bad days. I MUST reminder myself of the incredible sense of accomplishment I will feel when I meet each milestone (10K trail race, 10 mile trail race….eventually, a 50K).

No comments:

Post a Comment