Next Race: 10th Annual 10K on the Noland Trail (Newport News, VA)

Countdown to Kansas

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Making Goals

Today's topic is establishing challenging yet attainable goals.  What are my goals?  Well, for one, I want to complete a 50K race by the end of next year; preferably, the North Face Endurance Challenge in San Francisco in Dec 2011.  This will be a true test of determination, character, and perseverance.  Challenging and attainable?  Yes and yes (with some hard work).  What about my other goals?  Well, here is what I have so far.

1) Single race goals: ING Rock n Roll Philly Half-Marathon (9/19), North Face Endurance Challenege Half-Marathon (10/17), The Fall Backyard Burn Trail Run Series (Race #4) (12/5) - maybe on the last one, based on the pain ensudred as a result of goal #2

2) Complete the OBX 13K/13 Mile Challenge (something my wife came up with - thank you, Meg)
- Run the 8K on Saturday, the 5K two hours later, and the Half-Marathon on Sunday.

3) 50K North Face Endurance Challenege Race (San Francisco - Dec 2011)

4) ?

Right now, goal #4 is a work in progress.  I NEED goals to keep me going, I cannot just run to be in shape (Dean K talks about this in 50 in 50).  When I pick a goal I commit myself and work at it until it is met.  This makes me happy and gives me a tremendous sense of purpose.  So, who knows, goal #4 may turn into 25 half-marathons in 25 states (I am liking this one; best off, it is doable) or something else.  Why set your sights low and no demand a lot from yourself?  Ironman 70.3 (1.2 mi swim, 56 mi bike, and 13.1 mi run) in 2012 or 2013?  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment